Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Take This!

The word recipe comes to us from the imperative form of the Latin verb recipere, which meant to take or receive. Its original meaning in English was actually “prescription,” like directions for preparing and taking a medicine of some sort. From there it’s not much of a stretch to get to the sense that we commonly use today. Still, I find it kind of amusing that, at its root, the word means something like “take this!”

But I digress.

Here’s the recipe for Skillet Lasagna, as promised. The usual disclaimers apply: I claim no rights or authorship whatsoever; that all belongs to the America’s Test Kitchen/Cook’s Illustrated publishing entity and so forth. Check out your local newsstand, bookstore, and public television station.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Skillet Lasagna
serves 4 to 6
Use a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a tight-fitting lid for this recipe.

• 1 can (28-ounce) diced tomatoes0
• Water
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium onion, minced
• Salt
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 pound meatloaf mix [I use ground turkey here, the 93/7 variety]
• 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
• 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
• Pepper
• 1 cup ricotta cheese
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1. Pour the tomatoes with their juices into a 1-quart liquid measuring cup. Add water until the mixture measures 1 quart.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground meat and cook, breaking apart the meat, until it’s no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
3. Scatter the pasta over the meat but do not stir. Pour the diced tomatoes, with their juices, and the tomato sauce over the pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occassionally, until the pasta is tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with heaping tablespoons of ricotta, cover, and let it stand off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the basil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan. Serve.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Variation: Skillet Lasgana with Sausage and Peppers

Follow the recipe above, substituting 1 pound Italian sausage, removed from its casings, for the meatloaf mix. Add 1 chopped red bell pepper to the skillet with the onion in step 2.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

There you go! A few notes:

• Meatloaf mix is evidently a ground-up combo of beef, pork, and veal sold in some supermarkets. Me, I’ve never seen it — and I like using turkey because I really try to limit my intake of red meat. My guests don’t seem to notice the difference. I’m sure that using ground beef alone would work out fine, too.

• Don’t forget to add the tomato sauce in step 3. Go ahead and scoff — but twice I’ve had the pasta in for a good ten minutes, simmering, only to find a can of opened sauce still on the counter. Nothing like retracing your steps in the recipe, thinking, “When the heck does this go in?”

• I like to make sure that the pasta is completely submerged in step 3, at least for the first 5 minutes or so. So after the tomatoes go in, I'll add a skosh of extra water to the skillet if they're not quite covered up. Once I start stirring things up, I don't worry about it quite as much, what with the steam and all. (Then again, this could just be one of my many neuroses.)

• Chopping that much fresh basil can take a good measure of patience. But if you can stand to work the cutting board until you have the full three tablespoons, you’ll find that it’s well worth the trouble. Mmmmm.

If you try this out, let me know how it works for you. I’ve always wanted to make the variation, with Italian sausage, too. If you beat me to that, drop me a line as well.

Buon appetito!

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Thanks for the recipe.

Nice etymology too!!

Do you know where the phrase "red herring" - - as in a false clue - - comes from?

7:27 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Hey Keetha . . . I turned to one of my favorite websites, World Wide Words, for the origin of "red herring."

My dictionary says that it's from using a particularly strong-smelling preserved fish to throw dogs off the trail of a fox hunt . . . but Michael Quinion at WWW says (in a rather long article) that that is unattested.

Read more here: http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/herring.htm

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

What is a "skosh" of water? :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Jaena: I've added a hyperlink, just for you. ; D

9:42 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

LOL - - - I didn't mean you to RESEARCH it - - - I heard a story about it on NPR, and just wondered if you knew!! (NPR's explanation involves training dogs to fox hunt - - - though from a little, or perhaps more complete, angle than what you stated.)

I just love hearing where the expressions that we (at least old people like me) use all the time, which really have no bearing in our current world. Like, "Mind your p's and q's"

10:52 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Keetha . . . Etymology is one of my favorite topics — and the same goes for the origins of phrases, too.

You have to understand: If someone asks me a question like that, I just have to check out the answer. I have an insatiable hunger for information like that. So you didn't force me onto a journey I didn't want to make (however brief it was).

And I knew right off the bat that Mr. Quinion would have it covered. If you like this kind of stuff, you might check out his website. I'm subscribed to his weekly email about words.

Would have loved to hear the NPR story as well. Unfortunately, my commute to the office is between 5 and 10 minutes, so I don't get to listen as much as when I lived further from work. It's the one downside to living and working downtown.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Well - - - - here it is in a nutshell:

When training fox hounds puppies, they use a smoked herring to make the trails. Those are called "red herrings" because of their color when cooked.

Once the puppy can follow that trail easily, they then train him to a fox scent which isn't as obvious. When they think he is trained to that - - - - they try to 'trick' him by pulling a red herring across the fox scent trail - - - if he follows the fox scent and ignores the red herring, he is trained.

I am not an Enlglish major, but ALL my electives, except choir, were in literature. I also LOVE to hear the origin of phrases. I'm sure I haven't made the 'study' of it that you have - - - - but I think I will check that website out.

I'm so glad I've gotten to "know" you this blogging way - - - -

PS - - - IT IS THURSDAY!!!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Joel, I'm appointing you as my slant rhyme expert.

I thought this up as a little "Colts" slogan - - - and since I LOVE Joseph Addai. (Do you know that is pronounced Ah-Die?)

Anyway - - - is this slant rhyme, and if not, what is it as it has repeated sounds in it?

I do
Love
Addai

11:02 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Hi Keetha!

Yes, you could certainly call "I do"/"Addai" slant rhyme.

Strictly speaking, it's also consonance (rhyme that involves repeated consonant sounds, usually without repeated vowels). The repeated "I" sounds might qualify as assonance (repeated vowel sounds) as well.

Slant rhyme is kind of an overarching term for any kind of inexact rhyme.

Here's a link to Sylvia Plath's poem "Black Rook in Rainy Weather," which introduced me to the concept way back in 1988. (The poem's a little obscure, but if you dig a little, there's some good stuff there.)

http://plagiarist.com/poetry/?wid=1380

Or, better yet, how about something more accessible:

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15406

E. E. Cummings's poem here uses both exact rhyme and slant rhyme. Can you tell the one from the other?

8:47 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

LOL - - - I'm fairly certain I can tell exact rhyme, it's the slant that I wasn't exactly sure of all the 'rules.' (If indeed there are any)

BTW - - - I have the copy of the skillet lasagna recipe propped up on my kitchen counter WAITING for the chance to make it, you know - - - I'm home early enough, Greg is also here, and I have the ingredients.

I'll let you know how it goes - - - - eventually.

6:30 PM  
Blogger rubysoo said...

I actually cooked! I made the skillet lasagna this evening and it turned out really well. Wooooohoo!

(Both my roommate and I had two helpings.)

A little side note, I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, and it was still really tasty.

Are you proud of me?

6:24 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Ruby-T! I couldn't be prouder!! Not that I can take any credit, of course. I'll have to keep that cottage cheese option in mind . . . mmmmm. Glad that Sandra enjoyed it as well.

What's even cooler is that Thursday Table has spread to Chicagoland! Hurray!

8:53 PM  
Blogger rubysoo said...

It's more like Chicago Couch at the moment, as there is no table as of yet! hahaha.

Picture this:
----------
Last Sunday, we had roomie breakfast. There was me, following a recipe for SCRAMBLED EGGS from my "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?" book; and to the left of me, Sandra adding water to a containter of "Shake Ups" pancakes!

We decided we should have our own show: "These Girls Can't Cook." We would try basic recipes that we should already know and have people laugh at the antics that ensued!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home